Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Old read, new read...

So, I finally finished reading We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. I say finally because it did feeel like an ordeal. It took a long time to get into it, about a chapter before the end, because that's when it got good for me; it finally had pace. The first half of the book dragged behind like a petulent child, although I understand the need to build up suspense and show the events leading up to Thursday as it's referred to perhaps it could have been done another way.

I bought the book a long time ago, my copy says 'Orange Fiction Prize 2005' on it, but only recently as the film version has been released have I realised that I had it and that it might be worth a read.
Overall, the ending makes up for it's tediousness although I probably won't read it again and would only recommend it to someone with a lot of time on their hands.

Next book I'm reading: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I already own it, but Maggie from Pan Am listed it as her favourite book and that's recommendation enough for me.

No comments: